06 November 2007

St. John's, NL Canada


I arrived in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada Sunday night at 2am and today to work with a team of folks in the IONA St. John's office. It's a great bunch of folks here and city itself is very inviting and pleasant. Unfortunately I'm only here for a couple days.

Last night we visited O'Reilly's Pub to hear some Newfoundland live music. This evening I got to visit Signal Hill, the reception point of the first transatlantic wireless signal in 1901. It's a great vantage point to see the entire city, even at night. Even though it was quite cold due to wind and dampness from the ocean, the clouds cleared and we could see the lights of the city really well. In the other direction we could also see Cape Spear, the most easterly point of land in all of North America. Thanks guys!

Tomorrow morning at 5am I'm off to Phoenix, AZ for a couple days and then back home to Boulder. Originally I was supposed to head back to Dublin to speak at the Irish Java Technology Conference but the last time I was in Dublin I talked James into taking my place. And it's a good thing, too, because it seems that Air Canada changed its routes for the winter just a few weeks ago so there's no overnight flight from Toronto to Dublin. Thanks, James!

No comments:

Post a Comment